Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Goals, Organizing and De-stashing

It has to be done.  We must "make it so."

I have been organizing my goals.  My sweet daughter, Katharine, gave me this cute notebook.


I decided to list my goals, tasks and ideas, daily, on separate pages.



Some are goals with deadlines.  Others are tasks I would like to get done.  Then there are ideas that pop in my head.  I can ponder those further and act or forget it.  There is sooooo much satisfaction and instant gratification is crossing off the things achieved and completed.

A few days after starting my goal book I found De-Stash Along 2010!!!!!!!!  Missie says "The goal is super simple: to use as much of your current craft stash as possible by the end of the year. That is it!"


What could be better than a challenge to sew, craft, knit, crochet, whatever your craft is AND reduce one's clutter!?  I think it's a little bit Earth saving too but that's a subject for another day perhaps.

So I am IN!  I had already decided that I was going to do my best to only purchase what is necessary to finish current Works In Progress and to use up my ridiculous stash of  fabrics and yarns.  It will be very, very hard for me as a complete fabriholic and yarnoholic.  Often I absolutely must be physically restrained when I see a bargain or a pretty pretty fabric or lush yarn!

I did buy this nifty ribbon organizer for half price at Micheal's last week.  Now these pretties are not stuffed in a box where I forget about 'em. (Yes, you see pics of Bill Hubby and my kids from way back and my beloved Mugsy from long ago.)

Kathi, my blogland buddy of Paintings That Fly, asked me about my fabric stash one day.  Here it be piled high on 3 wide shelves on one wall and 2 on another wall and my scraps and pieces in a nifty organizer that I won!

 
  
What I didn't show you are the many huge plastic tubs with lids also full to overflowing with fabrics!
And here's the yarn stash.   Don't let looks deceive you - those shelves are deep and packed!



When I figure out how to do it, I am going to list my De-Stashing projects over on the side here.

Won't you join us by signing up over at Crafting with Cat Hair ?
Please let me know if you are playing along !  I'm thinking up some sort of prize/reward for my followers.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Becky, came to pay you a visit, but I can't get in...too much material and yarn in my way! LOL!
    I also have large stashes of material and crafting supplies. I acquired most of it this summer from some auctions and who can pass up a tote of lace and ribbons for $2.00?
    I am excited to begin crafting and enjoying these materials at hand. It allows creativity to flow...
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working on trying to reduce my stash too--not an easy thing to do. But I have so many cool fabrics, they deserve to be made into great stuff and seen! I'm having a bit more trouble with the beads and the scrapbook paper--the former because it's hard to figure out what to do with the leftovers from projects (don't want to make the same necklace and earrings again), and the latter because I just haven't had the time. Hopefully I'll get some pages done soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so much fabric you have. I've been seeing that destash on several blogs. I will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to enter a Fabric De-stash Program for fabricaholics, too! I moved 5 large boxes of fabric across the state last summer and am finally starting to use it. We're in a tiny town 3 hours from a fabric store now, so that's helping me, but I've discovered great online stores and have a very hard time passing up great prices! I'm headed over to check out the link. Thank you and good luck with the destash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing that with my stash, too. If I have several things that will work together to make something, I only buy what I need for that project. Of course, I hit the store and there's a new adhesive on sale that I must try, or buttons that will match something else I think I have, but when I get home they don't match!
    Writing down your goals each day is a great idea. I started doing a to-do list for the next day each night, and it worked for a while, but then my laziness took over. I think I'll go back to it, inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I joined de-stash too and have already made a few things...I'm keeping a list on my blog to see how much I make using my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks gals! We're all in this together and it makes it that much easier and much much more fun!

    @Cindy - I don't think I have your e-mail address. Please, could you zip it to me at beckysews [at] hotmail [dot] com? thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Do tell! Whatcha thinkin?