Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Vintage Thingy Thursday - Shopping with the Girls



I love thrift shopping.

Yesterday, my BFF Anne and I met up with Bea of Bea's Blabber. It was great to meet in person.

We three were on a mission. Our five-hour mission: to explore strange old stores; to seek out old stuff from old civilizations; to boldly go where no man dares to go!

(I love Start Trek!)

The day started sorta foggy.





















Truckie is all gassed up and ready to go.



Whoa! What the heck?








Oh man, I gotta do a trash/recycling run on the way. I'm gonna be late.


Anne and Bea are waiting for me and are having a good time gettin to know one another. We head to our first destination - "Everything but Grannie's Panties." This old 2 story house is crammed full of old stuff! We wander through the rooms ooohing, ahhing and saying "I have one of those." "My Mom has one of those." "I remember those."

Each room is set up with it's own theme. The kitchen has kitchen stuff, the dining room has dining stuff - you get it. In the Parlor there are fancy clothes and swimsuits hanging around the walls. Anne is preoccupied with "art" while Bea and I sit down to go through the big basket of little linens.

Bea finds a "pretty."




We moved upstairs where there are a couple of bedrooms and an "attic."


I found a coat and hat.
Chic, qui?















Coat was to small.






Bea and I went through the bathroom which is strangely where they keep all the crafty things. Weird. I found 4 cool patterns.



Anne came around the corner ready for the Kentucky Derby!





















We all bought some old stuff to add to our stashes. Here's what came home with me.













Then we were off to "Pennies for Change." This store was established to raise money to help victims of domestic violence. I hadn't been there in a couple of years and was quite impressed with the improvements. Not a whole lot of vintage here. We did find some bargains though. I scored a pair of linen pillowcases in pristine condition. Yay me! Maybe I'll embroider 'em around the openings and convert 'em into pajama bottoms. (To totally steal an idea from a friend, Lisa of The Hemline who sells these at her etsy shop of the same name.)

By this time we were all hungry and I was close to getting cranky. Good thing Anne was driving us around.

We had lunch with the Colonel.



We then ventured to the Duke U Thrift Store. They were already closed. One whole minute before the posted time too. That's okay, we agreed we didn't wanna give dook any money as we three are Carolina TarHeel (Anne), Kansas U (Bea) and Wake Forest/Clemson (me) fans.

Off to the Goodwill - which is huge! After we looked at everything Bea declared, "That's it. I'm done. Time to go home."


Wish I had taken more pics. We laughed a whole, whole bunch.

Three storytellers with funny kids we are.

Three on a mission.

Aaarrgh!


Check out all the other cool Vintage thingys by going to Coloradolady's blog for the list of participating blogs.

13 comments:

  1. This soounds like such a fun day! Great that you found some patterns, and what a great idea with the pillowcases. Have great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! Looks like you found some nice patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a fun day! Nothing like going treasure hunting with friends, because they can help talk you out of buying something stupid. Or actually talk you INTO buying something stupid too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting us in on your trip!!! Such great fun, digging through linens and stuff! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you found some great treats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you guys had the time of your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun trip you took us on and I didn't spend any money. Yea! Thanks for driving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful time and I love those apron patterns. Happy VTT and have a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like such a fun day .. invite me next time you go! You girls look like you have lots of fun and how can you not have fun in a store called Everything but Grannie's panties?!
    Happy VTT!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a GREAT day you had and bargains GALORE :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a fun day! Thanks for inviting me! Arrggh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun time you all had--the old fur coat reminded me of one my mother had when I was little. It was old then and I would play dress up with it...like they did in Narnia. BTW, I LOVE Star Trek too.

    ReplyDelete

Do tell! Whatcha thinkin?