Monday, October 12, 2009

How to Stay Young




I totally love this portion of the e-mail I got today from

Stitchin' Heaven


 How to Stay Young
1. Try everything twice.
On one woman's tombstone she said she wanted this epitaph:"Tried everything twice.loved it both times!"

2. Keep only cheerful friends.
The grouches pull you down. (Keep this in mind if you are one of those grouches!)
This one is hard when you have some sour, "woe is me" relatives!

3. Keep learning: 
Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever.  Never let the brain get idle. 'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.' And the devil's name is Alzheimer's! 
I never ever want to stop learning new things!  From the newest sewing trick to the most ridiculously obscure trivia factoid.  My head is full of trivia!


4. Enjoy the simple things.
The way I TRY to keep things 'round here. Simple.  Unassuming.  Laid back.

5. Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath. And if you have a friend who makes you laugh, spend lots and lots of time with HIM/HER.
I come from a long line of storytellers.  Every now and then they even told (or tell) the truth.  Hubby Bill is funny, my kids are funny, heck, Our Petey The Boston Terrier is funny.  I have a very loud, hearty laugh  which is evidently funny too.  Every day I get a giggle started by checking out those craxy LOL Catz!  It's not for everyone but I laugh and laugh at 'em.


6. The tears happen: 
Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. LIVE while you are alive.
I had a dorm neighbor at Clemson who always said "Have a good attitude and you'll have a good time!"  she found a way to find fun and humor in most any situation.  I loved her attitude and stole her catch phrase.  Thanks Bonnie wherever you are!

7. Surround yourself with what you love:
Whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.
Well, I guess Bill and I love clutter.  We sure have lots of it ;) We also have lots of books, movies and albums and CDs.  (Yeah, we still have a record player - look it up young'uns ;) )  And posters of our fave movies and concerts and family pictures all over the place.  Not even gonna go in to how much fabric/craft stash there is - heehee


8. Cherish your health:
If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9. Don't take guilt trips. 
Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county, to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is.

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.
As we like to say tell 'em E'er'day.  Katharine and I don't say the word "goodbye" to one another.  She thinks it's very final and sad.  We like to close conversations and visits with "Later."

11. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second chance.
Remember! Lost time can never be found.
This one is the hardest for me.  There are family members who still mean, nasty and rotten.  They refuse to own up to any thing they have ever done to hurt other family folks.  I have a hard time coping with that.

Do you have any words of wisdom that you live by?

Do you think being happy keeps you younger?  


Funny Bill















2 comments:

  1. what wonderful advice, my husband always says to feel like a kid you need to act like a kid! it works, we all got on the slip n slide over the summer, it's quite a site but we sure did have fun! thanks for the smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice; even though I've seen these before, I always enjoy seeing them again.

    ReplyDelete

Do tell! Whatcha thinkin?